Monday, June 12, 2017

Stake Conference

Hey y'all!!! So this week was kind of special, we had stake conference and President Collioni spoke, and Sister Velasco and I got to help Brad (ward mission leader) teach an English class (he teaches English to basically everyone). Plus all the usual stuff with teaching and working with our members. Really good week! Some difficulties and bumps but that's normal... unfortunately...

Okay so first, stake conference. Not gonna lie, I got a little homesick this week. For some reason for stake conference I got all excited that I'd get to see all of you guys haha! Then I showed up and remembered none of you are in Brazil with me. Kind of really devastating... but stake conference was good nonetheless. At least from what I understood it was good haha. It was really difficult to pay attention, we had C and her little brother A with us and it was very noisy!!! It made it really difficult to pay attention, but I did my best. If I understood correctly each speaker touched on the importance of prayer and that we need to have that connection and relationship with our Father in Heaven. He may already know what's going on in our life, but he wants to hear from us every day. 

Second, teaching English! So it was kind of nice to speak English even though I couldn't think of anything to say in English haha. But we taught a class full of 12-18 year olds who have been studying and learning English anywhere from 2 days to 2 years. We really just got to know them and asked real simple questions but it was really fun. 

Teaching was a little different this week, we did a lot more searching for people than anything else. We got a list a couple weeks ago with people who were baptized but never confirmed, so we've been searching for those people and trying to get them back on track for confirmation or baptism again. We found one who was really interested in going back to church but when we went and picked him up for church he was like he was a totally different person. Super sad to see him turn away from the chance to become more like our Savior... Then just a regular investigator, a mother and daughter. V and E, we taught on Friday night, and V had some questions about why good people suffer so much and feel so much pain. So we taught her the plan of salvation and explained that all people struggle, as much as that sucks everyone suffer with their own difficulties. And that through the endless undying love and mercy of our Savior we can overcome these trials. All we need to do is take that first step of faith and ask for help with our struggles. I know it's difficult to ask for help sometimes because we don't want to feel like a burden, but if we humble ourselves and ask for help, Jesus Christ will help us, and he will lighten our burdens. It's been promised to us, if only we act first and ask. We felt the spirit so strong during this lesson. V was crying and Sister Velasco was on the verge of tears. It was such a good lesson. We committed E to baptism next week and are still working with V for baptism. But I am very optimistic about it. 

You guys, I know with all my heart, that if we just ask for our Savior's help, he will lighten our burdens. He is with us every step of the way. He atoned for our sins and felt every pain and struggle we will ever feel. He knows every bit of pain we have, and with a small act of faith on our part He will without a doubt be there to help us and support us through our struggles. I've seen the blessings of this tiny act of faith, I know that without Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost I would be unable to fulfill my calling as a missionary and representative of Christ. I know that if we just ask, Heavenly Father, our merciful Father in Heaven will bless us with the most amazing help. The help, love, and support of our perfect, loving brother Jesus. 

I love you all, and am so grateful to have you all in my life. Each of you has blessed my life in some way or another and I can't thank you all enough. Have an awesome week, até próximo semana!!!!

com todo o meu amor,
Sister Moss
 
Questions and Answers
 
What did you do? This week we did a lot of searching for people. we got a list of people in our area who were baptized but not confirmed so we were trying to find them and figure out why they never finished the ordinence. 
 
What are you studying in the scriptures right now? Right now I'm studying in 2 Nephi. All in Portuguese so it's a really slow process. But it's really really good. I've decided my favorite thing to do is read about our Savior and his work here on earth and his words to us.

What songs give you peace? I love all hinos!! I really enjoy singing and learning them in Portuguese! 
 
Tell me ALL ABOUT your new companion... So Sister Velasco is amazing!!! I love her!!! She's so fun!! She's from Texas and is a band geek (her words not mine). She did marching band and plays the flute. She's an only child, is 21 and almost 9 months into her mission. She is so direct when teaching, it's awesome! She teaches so well and always by the spirit. I love listening to her teach.
 
What was the hardest thing you had to do this week? The hardest thing this week was probably finding and trying to get in contact with those who were not confirmed. They don't think its important to receive the Holy Ghost... devastating really... 
 
The easiest? The easiest is loving the people, I don't know why it's so easy, but I know these are my brothers and sisters and they need help finding the path home. 
 
Why does every day feel like Christmas in Mossoró? Everyday is like Christmas in Mossoró because there are so many little blessings everyday. Tiny miracles everyday. It's amazing!!!


Package from home

Baptism - Sister Moss and Elder Alves

Sisters Moss and Velasco

My zone

No comments:

Post a Comment